All images are jpeg format.
Click on imagemap below to see enlargement of a thumbnail image. The full-size
Images are usually framed by a sub-page which gives more information about that
There are currently 126 images in this collection of thumbnails.
Actually a few more than that are available: new images that haven't yet been
incorporated into the thumbnail collection or enlargements or reductions of
images that are in the collection (in which case the sub-page framing an image
will contain a link to the enlarged or reduced version of that image).
Text captions for these images are below, referenced by a key in the upper left
of the thumbnail. Images containing more than one animal or person have been
placed in the list for one of those animals/persons. Which one to use was often
a hard choice.
These pictures are not yet in the above montage. They are, however, in the
banners for the pages of the individual pets.
- Kits Ben and Jerry play together. This
picture was taken Feb '90 when Ben and Jerry were 2 months old.
- In these three pictures: (1,
2, and 3), Ben
and Jerry ride on Bill's shoulder. They were taken November 1990 when
Ben and Jerry were just under a year old.
- Bill takes Lupi for a walk. This picture was
taken November 4, 1990, one day after we got Lupi from a shelter in
- This is Lupi taking a break at the end of Mary's
Rock Trail at Shenandoah National Park. The date on this picture is
uncertain. I suspect it is somewhere between '91 to '94.
- Ben looks at the camera while Jerry sleeps.
This picture was taken in Mar '93 with Ben and Jerry about 3 years old.
There had been heavy snowfall the day before.
- Lupi investigates the thick snow on our deck. This
picture was taken March '93 during the "Blizzard of '93".
- After the Blizzard of '93 in March '93, we took a walk in the woods.
Here Clare and our dog Lupi pose in front of
the Middle Patuxent River, which runs through the woods near our house.
- Baby Buttercup curls up in her hammock.
This picture was probably taken February '94 around Valentine's day --
shortly after we adopted her.
- Lupi poses in a devil costume. My guess is
that it dates from around November 1996.
- This is an action shot of Lupi running. This image
was taken during August of '97.
- These two photos #1 and #2
were taken of Lupi during Christmas '97, Lupi's last Christmas.
- This is a picture of Lupi's Gravestone taken
in August 1998, two months after he died.
- Bonnie and Charlie share a kiss. Actually,
they were probably licking ferretone from each other's lips. This image
was taken around Thanksgiving 1998 when Bonnie and Charlie were about 1
year and 3 months old.
- Patrick meets Jasmine. This image
was taken around Thanksgiving 1998 when Patrick was about 3 months old
and Jasmine about 3 1/2.
- Buttercup does the ferret dance.
This picture was taken December 19, 1998 with Buttercup about 5 years
- Charlie checks out a Christmas tree.
This picture was taken December 19, 1998 with Charlie about 1 1/2 years
- Patrick tries to grab an ornament from a
Christmas tree. This picture was taken December 19, 1998 with
Patrick 4 months old.
- Buttercup grabs a toy and puts it in her
stash. This picture was taken March 1999 with Buttercup about 5 1/4
years old, about the time she had her second adrenal surgery.
- Buttercup sleeps with "Curious George", a
stuffed monkey toy. This picture was taken March 1999, shortly after
she underwent her second adrenal surgery, in which most of a malignant
right adrenal gland was removed.
- Buttercup begs for a treat. This picture was
taken March 1999 with Buttercup about 5 1/4 years old. This was
shortly after she underwent her second adrenal surgery, in which most
of a malignant right adrenal gland was removed. One can see the shaved
fur on the neck under the chin (where blood was sometimes drawn) and
the shaved underside with one stitch visible.
- Buttercup is hand-fed. In November of 1999
Buttercup came down with the flu. She stopped eating and drinking on
her own and from that point on had to be hand fed. This picture was
taken March 1999 with Buttercup about 5 1/4 years old, about the time
of her second adrenal surgery.
- This is a picture of Lupi's Gravestone taken
during the Spring of 1999, with spring silk flowers.
- This is Patrick on June 1, 1999, when he was
about 10 months old.
- Bridgett licks some tasty ferretone from her
lips. This images was taken in May 1999 when Bridgett was going on
5 years old.
- Charlie gets a good hold on Bonnie.
This image was taken September 1999, when Bonnie and Charlie were about
2 years old.
- Buttercup gapes at Charlie. This
picture was taken September 1999, when Buttercup was 5 2/3 and Charlie
- Charlie starts to dance. This picture was taken
September 1999, when Charlie was 2 years old.
- Bridgett dances with Buttercup. This
picture was taken on February 12, 2000 when Buttercup was 6 and
Bridgett 5 1/2.
- Bill holds Patrick while Bridgett
and Buttercup check out them both. This picture was taken
Feb 12, 2000 with Buttercup 6 years old, Bridgett about 5 1/2, and
Patrick a year and a half.
These are photos of Bill and Clare.
- This is Bill and our ferret
Buttercup when she was an 8 weeks old kit (Feb 1994, 50288 bytes).
- This is my wife Clare (23533 bytes).
- Bill and Clare pose in front of their
townhouse with Ben, Jerry and Lupi. This picture was taken in the
summer of '92 when Lupi was about 3 years old and Ben and Jerry were
2 1/2 (31988 bytes).
- Bill and Clare sit on a swing on a fall
day with the dogs Lupi and Bernie (October '94, 62337 bytes).
- This is a picture of
Clare with her parents John and Marion Flesch
on the occasion of her parent's 50th wedding anniversary
(June 1996, 54872 bytes).
- Bill and Clare pose after attending an
outdoor wedding of some friends (August '96, 52712 bytes).
- Bill and Clare by a window. This window is
in the house in University Park, Ohio owned by Diane and Dan Palmer
(Bill's sister and brother-in-law) (Xmas '97, 31207 bytes).
Our dog Lupi was born around May 1989. We got him from a shelter
November 3, 1990. He was obsessed with food. To him our ferrets were
toys or rivals for our attention. Lupi died suddenly and unexpectedly
on June 6, 1998 from a tumor in his heart.
Ben was one of our original two ferrets. She and her littermate
Jerry were born around December 1, 1989. We acquired her as a kit
on January 26, 1990. For most of her life she was the dominant ferret.
For four years Ben and Jerry were our only ferrets.
Ben died on Clare's lap on August 22, 1997 from lymphosarcoma that had
invaded her pancreas.
- Lupi looks at the camera from the living room
of Clare's parents in Lawrenceville, NJ. This image was taken when
Lupi was about 2 years old (July '91, 28912 bytes).
- Lupi looks up from amidst the flowers on the
deck (Oct '92, 41060 bytes).
- Lupi gazes at the camera (before Oct 1995,
- Lupi does his Santa Claus impression for
Christmas 1995 (Dec 1995, 29942 bytes).
- Lupi stands in the fall grass (1995 or
before, 39418 bytes).
- Here is Lupi and Bernie romping in
the snow (Dec 1995, 35393 bytes). Bernie is a miniature poodle (born
June 1995) belonging to Bill's folks in Ohio.
- Lupi poses in his Christmas Costume. (Dec
1996, 48087 bytes).
- B7 and B8
- In these two pictures:
B7 (March 1997, 39021 bytes) and
B8 (March 1997, 21141 bytes)
Lupi pretends to be the Easter Bunny
- Lupi takes a rest at the top of the stairs
(Feb 1998, 59609 bytes).
Jerry was the other of our original two ferrets.
She and her littermate Ben were born around December 1, 1989.
We acquired her as a kit on January 26, 1990.
For four years Ben and Jerry were our only ferrets.
Jerry died on Bill's lap on February 15, 1997 from kidney failure.
- Two month old Ben poses near a little
rocking chair with a stuffed monkey (February 1990, 48656 bytes).
- Ben shows the regal pose that made her alpha
ferret. (around Thanksgiving, 1994, 27567 bytes).
- Ben begs for a treat (Jan '96, 36851 bytes).
- Ben looks soulfully at the camera (Jan '96,
- Ben wearing a little hat posing
(late '95 early '96, 41725 bytes).
- Ben wearing a little hat being held
(late '95 early '96), 56503 bytes).
- Ben, Buttercup, and Jerry sleep with
their heads poking out of the purple hutch (late '95 early '96,
- This is a picture of Ben carrying a tennis
ball up the steps in Bill's Mom's' home in Ohio. Note that this
picture was taken just one month before she had an operation to remove
a large tumor. At that point we had no idea that anything was wrong
(December 1996, 22892 bytes).
- Ben takes a raisin in front of the plaid
tent (Dec 1996, 51803 bytes).
- Ben curls up on a little ferret bed
Dec 1996, 42587 bytes).
- Ben tussles with Jasmine
(Nov 1996, 47791 bytes).
- Jerry, Ben, and Jasmine are begging for
raisins (date late October, 1996, 57235 bytes).
- Jasmine, Ben, and Jerry are curled up on
a big cat bed (Dec 1996, 62222 bytes).
- Ben and Buttercup (May 1997, 44571
- Ben wrestles with Buttercup (May 1997,
- Ben looks at the camera from a chair. This
image was taken while Ben was receiving chemotherapy for lymphoma
(March or April 1997, 74177 bytes).
- Ben plays with a stuffed cow dangled from a
fishing rod (May 1997, 27675 bytes).
- Ben carries off a toy, showing it off to the
camera (April 1997, 64264 bytes).
- Ben races past the camera carrying her toy.
(May or June 1997, 60829 bytes).
- Ben curls up on a little ferret bed in the
cage. This image was taken in May '97, 3 months before her death from
lymphoma. During this period she was receiving chemotherapy and was
doing well. However about this time we received the ominous news that
her cancer was beginning to resist the drugs (May 1997, 77123 bytes).
- Jasmine, Ben, and Bridgett and Jasmine
(left to right) beg for raisins. They live in a three-storey cage
connected to a two-storey cage. The cages are connected by a white
pipe visible in the lower center of this picture. Outside is a deck
with summer flowers (July 1997, 94654 bytes).
- Ben licks Nutrical with her medicine from
Clare's finger (July 1997, 42799 bytes).
- Ben is fed by Bill from a syringe
(July 1997, 48609 bytes).
- Ben poses on Bill's new scanner and birthday
present, a Umax S-12. When this image was taken it was intended to be
used to create a thank you card for those who helped Bill buy this
scanner. We didn't know that it was to be the last good picture we got
of her, as she died a month later (July, 1997, 29459 bytes).
- Jerry as a kit plays in a Christmas box
with holes cut in it (March 1990, 46269 bytes).
- Jerry stares up at a toy (Thanksgiving weekend,
November 1994, 69261 bytes).
- Here (Jan 1996, 32881 bytes) and
here (Jan 1996, 42666 bytes) are two more
images of Jerry.
- Jerry strikes a cute pose (Dec 1996, 24006
Little Jerry loved to carry lids around and stash them. Lids from
Quaker Oats cans were her favorite.
- Jerry picks up a lid (Nov 1996, 46423
- Jerry takes a lid from Clare. (Nov 1996,
- Jerry picks up a lid under Bernie's (my
mother's poodle) watchful eye (Nov 1996, 57847 bytes).
- Under Bernie's watchful eye Jerry puts the
lid away (Nov 1996, 65616 bytes).
In her last couple months of life, Jerry liked to play "raisin" games.
Taking raisins and stashing them. When she was younger she would
instead be more likely to eat than stash them.
- Clare gives Jerry a raisin. Jerry,
although very sick at this point from kidney failure, still liked to
take and hide raisins and would even climb up a couch to get raisins
(Dec 1996, 52804 bytes).
- Jerry goes for a raisin (Dec 1996,
- Jerry stretches up for a raisin (Dec
1996, 61153 bytes).
- Jerry is hand fed from a syringe (Oct
1996, 26662 bytes).
Ben & Jerry together
was born on January 1, 1994. We got her around Valentine's day 1994 as
a ferret kit of about 6 weeks (she was our Valentine's day gift to each
- Ben and Jerry as kits playing in some
red paper (Feb 1990, 60602 bytes).
- When Ben and Jerry were kits they would often wrestle together.
Here at the age of two months Ben pounces on
Jerry (February 1990, 42377 bytes).
- Kits Ben and Jerry play in their play box
(February 1990, 42160 bytes).
- Kits Ben & Jerry explore under an
end table. In this image they were about 2 months old (Feb 1990, 74360
- Kits Ben & Jerry wrestle.
In this image they were about 2 months old (Feb 1990, 32516 bytes).
- Ben & Jerry ride on Bill's shoulder.
In this image they were just under a year old (Oct 1990, 55640 bytes).
- Here are Ben and Jerry (1995 before
october, 51240 bytes).
- Here is another of Ben and Jerry
poking their heads out of a sleep sack (1995 before october,
Bridgett was born around June 1994. We rescued her April 1995
from a family that did not want her.
- This is
Bill holding ferret Buttercup
when she was an 8 weeks old kit (Feb 1994, 50288 bytes).
is a closeup
of kit Buttercup in that image (32133 bytes).
- This is Bill holding 6 or 7 week old
Buttercup shortly after we adopted her (February 1994, 42816 bytes).
- Bill holding Buttercup
when Buttercup was about 3 (i.e. an adult ferret)
(Nov 1996, 42617 bytes).
- This image of Buttercup was taken during
Thanksgiving weekend, November 1994 (28566 bytes)
- Here is Buttercup licking her chops
(Jan Feb 1996, 33066 bytes).
- Buttercup looks at the camera
(late 1994 or 1995 before October, 48947 bytes).
- Buttercup pokes her head out of a little
tent (Dec 1996, 46766 bytes).
- Buttercup stands on the keyboard of
Bill's home computer (April 1997, 48319 bytes).
- Buttercup looks at the camera (May '97,
- Buttercup, Bridgett and Jasmine
investigate Bill's new scanner (July 1997, 71482 bytes).
This was a companion picture to the picture of Ben
on that scanner.
Jasmine was born in June 1995. We acquired her as a ferret kit
from a pet shop at the age of four months after she had been there for
about 2 1/2 months.
- This image of Bridgett was taken between
April and October 1995 (32859 bytes). It shows the "waif" look that
she still has.
- Here is Bridgett plays tug-of-war over
a squeek toy
(Dec 1995, 33085 bytes).
- Jasmine, Buttercup, Ben, Bridgett, and
Jerry (from left to right) sleep in a pile with their heads poking
out of the purple hutch (late '95 early '96, 50561 bytes).
- Here is another image of Bridgett posing
for the camera (Jan-Feb 1996, 35044 bytes).
- Bridgett looks soulfully at the camera
(late '95 early '96, 16823 bytes).
- Bridgett with a little hat checks out a
box of Ferret Bites. (late '95 early '96, 50135 bytes).
- Here is Bill holding Bridgett and
Jasmine (Dec 1995, 38858 bytes).
- Bridgett pokes her head out of a little
tent (Dec 1996, 63823 bytes).
- Bridgett begs for a treat (June 1997,
Bonnie and her brother Charlie were born around July 1, 1997.
We acquired them as kits on September 15, 1997. What first attracted
us to he was a resemblance to recently departed Ben. She is a bouncy
but somewhat timid ferret.
- Jasmine climbs a sofa in Bill's Mom's house
in Ohio (Dec 1995, 31056 bytes).
- Here is Jasmine's Dance of Joy
(Dec 1995, 59004 bytes).
- Jasmine meets Bernie
(Dec 1995, 46387 bytes).
- Jasmine plays with a toy shoe
(Dec 1995, 14595 bytes).
- Jasmine peeks out of Bill's sleeve
(Dec 1995, 33318 bytes).
- Jasmine pokes her head out of the purple
hutch.(Jan Feb 1996, 38003 bytes),
- Jasmine stands near a small ferret bed
(Jan Feb 1996, 30968 bytes).
- Jasmine does the flat-ferret pose.
They do that when they are tired or taking a break.
- J4, K3, and
- Jasmine sleeps with a little hand-sewn Teddy Bear:
(J4) stretched out
(K3) curled up (42339 bytes), and
(K4)looking at the camera
(37506 bytes) (late '95 early '96, 37506 bytes).
- Jasmine poses with the little hat, while Ben
looks on (Jan or Feb '96, 46894 bytes).
- Jasmine on her hind legs begging. We
think that this is her impression of the "Does your ferret have
Ferretude?" advertisement for 8-in-1 ferret products
(Dec 1996, 50314 bytes).
- Jasmine on a leash for a walk stops to
pose (Jan 1997, 55972 bytes).
- Jasmine grabs a squeak toy (December
1996, 59991 bytes).
- Jasmine contemplates grabbing a squeak
toy (February 1997, 62379 bytes).
- Jasmine climbs onto a table and knocks
over a pepper shaker (May 1997, 24456 bytes).
- Jasmine looks at the camera from the open
door of the cage (November 1997, 42201 bytes).
- Jasmine stands in the ferret play room near
the clear dryer hose maze (November 1997, 23595 bytes).
- Jasmine gives an enormous yawn
(April 1998, 39082 bytes).
Charlie and his sister Bonnie were born around July 1, 1997. We
acquired them as kits on September 15, 1997. Charlie has a vague
resemblance to recently departed Jerry but, of course, as a male is
much bigger than Jerry was. He is an active ferret that likes to play.
- Bonnie looks at the camera from the inside
of the red tent (Sept 1997, 28829 bytes).
- Bonnie right after we got her as a 11 or 12
week-old kit (September 1997, 54850 bytes).
- Bonnie and Charlie beg for treats
(September 1997, 67139 bytes).
- Bonnie goes airborne as she pounces on
Charlie (November 1997, 62498 bytes).
- Bonnie and Charlie sing music.
Actually they were probably planning to tip the music off of the stand
(November 1997, 65405 bytes).
- Bonnie and Charlie play in a long clear
box that came with a fluorescent lamp (November 1997, 81767 bytes).
- Bonnie grabs a Christmas ornament while
Revere the cat looks on. This picture was taken Dec '97 when Bonnie
was about 5 months old (55642 bytes).
We acquired Patrick on October 14, 1998 as a puppy. Patrick is a
Shetland Sheepdog, otherwise known as a Sheltie. The book
The Shetland Sheepdog, An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet
by Cathy Merrithew, claims that Shelties have an
"incredible desire to obey." So far we haven't noticed that desire.
- Charlie plays with a ping-pong ball on a
string (September 1997, 30798 bytes).
- Charlie poses on a roll of carpet. This
image was obtained shortly after we got him as a 11 or 12 week-old kit
(September 1997, 35823 bytes).
- Charlie poses for the camera (October 1997,
- Charlie sleeps atop the purple hutch, nearly
collapsing it. This made it awkward for the other ferrets, especially
Buttercup, who liked to sleep inside the purple hutch (October 1997,
- Charlie gapes at Bridgett while
Jasmine runs to join the fun. Charlie is pretending he's from
"Jurassic Park" (November 1997, 36436 bytes).
- Buttercup (left) and Charlie
(right) bare their teeth at each other during play wrestling
(October 1997, 42468 bytes).
- Buttercup and Charlie face off
(November 1997, 55083 bytes).
- Jasmine gets a hold on Charlie while
Bonnie runs to join the fray (October 1997, 50096 bytes).
- Charlie gets a good hold on Jasmine during
a wrestling match (October 1997, 48638 bytes).
- Charlie and Jasmine lie next to each
other with their mouths gaping at each other. It looks like Jasmine
is about to pounce on Charlie. (April 1998, 33847 bytes).
- This is Patrick, when he was a 10 week old
puppy. This picture was taken Oct 16, 1998, two days after we adopted
These are the ferrets that belonged to our friends, Wayne and Sylvia Baggett:
- This is a picture of Clare's parents, John and
Marion Flesch, on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary
(June 1996, 53420 bytes).
These are pictures of Bill's Mom and brothers' pets:
- Cloudy (left) and Spazz (right), inspect
a box of raisins (1995 before October, 79328 bytes).
Cloudy (1991 - Feb 21, 1997) and Spazz (October 1988 - April 21, 1997)
have left Wayne and Sylvia for the Rainbow Bridge.
- Rocky (March 1993 - July 29, 2000) (image
taken before October 1995, 70235 bytes).
- This is Arnold (February 1996 - Dec 17,2002)
ready for what happens next! (fall of '97, 56718 bytes).
- Arnold does the "Ferret Dance"
(fall of '97, 27533 bytes).
- Bernie is a silver poodle
(December 1996, 71323 bytes).
- Bernie and Revere (the family cat), are best of friends. Here
Bernie and Revere sleep
together on a rug (Dec 1996, 66744 bytes). Revere died on September
27, 2001 at the age of 15 after losing a fight with a
Here is our ferret page. This page contains the
story of our ferrets and some links I have collected concerning ferrets and
Our dog Lupi, who awaits us at the rainbow bridge,
has his own page with his story,
as does our present dog Patrick.
Our diabetic cat Felix also has his own page.
Last modified 20-Dec-2002.